The STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio allows you to conveniently enjoy any DRM live radio broadcast on your Android smartphone or tablet. No Internet connection required. All you need is an SDR RF dongle or receiver connected to your device via USB.
DRM or Digital Radio Mondiale is the global digital radio standard used for all digital international transmissions as well as for national and local services in many countries. To learn more about DRM and its features visit www.drm.org.
The STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio is designed for ease-of-use and supports all core features of the DRM standard:
– Listener-centric and easy to navigate app design and user interface
– Multiple user interface languages.
Currently supported: English, German, Simplified Chinese
– Convenient frequency tuning and DRM Service selection
– DRM Service labels and graphical service logos
– Full service metadata: programme/app type, language, country of origin, etc.
– All standardized DRM audio codecs incl. xHE-AAC with optimized tune-in performance for a quick start of audio playback
– Journaline, DRM’s advanced text application, allows to interactively browse through latest news, sports and weather updates, programme background information and schedules, distance learning/RadioSchooling text books, travel information, and much more
– Full Journaline feature set including hot-button interactivity, geo-references and embedded/linked images
– Convenient and fast Journaline information access with update notifications for page-content (and automatic updates for menus), as well as persistent caching for instant content access when switching between DRM services
– DRM text messages incl. DL+ support
– Slideshow images
– Unicode support for all textual elements: service labels, text messages, Journaline
– DRM EWF – Emergency Warning Functionality within the DRM transmission: in case of an emergency alarm signal, automatically re-tunes from the current service to the emergency programme; presents the emergency audio along with multi-lingual Journaline content to provide in-depth instructions with interactive access and to serve non-native speakers or hearing impaired users
In addition, STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio is designed for maximum tuning flexibility and performance:
– Free tuning to any DRM broadcast frequency
– Supports all DRM frequency bands – from the former AM bands (LW/MW/SW) to the VHF bands (including the FM band), depending only on RF dongle functionality
– Supports all DRM robustness modes (A-E), modulation parameters and on-air signal bandwidths
– Optimized frequency tuning and re-sync performance
– Graphical spectrum view to check the signal on the tuned frequency
For live reception, an SDR RF dongle must be connected to the device’s USB port (with USB host functionality). The following SDR RF dongle families are currently supported, along with a range of specifically tested models:
– Airspy HF+ family:
Airspy HF Discovery, Airspy HF+ (Dual Port).
(Note: Airspy Mini and R2 are NOT supported.)
– SDRplay family:
SDRPlay RSP1A, SDRPlay RSPdx, SDRPlay RSPduo, SDRPlay RSP1, SDRPlay RSP2, SDRPlay RSP2pro, MSI.SDR Panadapter
(Note: SDRPlay family support on Android is currently limited to the 32-bit version of this app.)
– RTL-SDR family:
The experimental support for RTL-SDR based RF dongles requires that you manually start the following separate tool before opening this app (on standard port ‘14423’): The app ‘SDR driver’ can be installed from the Google Play Store and other Android app stores.
Please find more details on https://drmsoftradio.starwaves.com/
The built-in SWR indicator makes the Alpha Loop so very easy to tune! Now you can suddenly hear everyone, and they can hear you! This is an antenna th… Read more
The MULTI BEAMING Open STACK controller by RemoteQTH.com is the black box designed to controll the stack match as the multibeaming switch. You can e… Read more
“Hello Operators. Topic of the day is the Raspberry Pi 3B+, and how I’m using it for amateur field communications. During May 18-21, I spe… Read more
“After 5 months of using this antenna, I owe a follow up as I mentioned in my original video. This antenna has been a solid daily user since I i… Read more
“The NanoVNA does many things. Two of which are testing coax cables for loss and length. Jim W6LG shows how to do both in this first video about… Read more
ICOM IC-7610 “About two weeks in a row i receive very strong static noise from the nearby electric transformer station. The noise level is S9 +… Read more
The Airspy HF+ Discovery sets a new standard in terms of reception performance with extra pre-selectors for all the supported bands and a New DSP Core… Read more
WiMo takes over the manufacture and distribution of the well-known products of InnovAntennas Europe worldwide
“InnovAntennas Ltd. and WiMo Antennas and Elektronik GmbH, Herxheim / Germany, enter into closer cooperationIn 2018, UK production of all short… Read more
“We take Icom’s IC-705 transceiver on a ride with the Harley-Davidson Road King Limited and review it along with Icom’s AL-705 Magne… Read more
The IEEE Committee on Man and Radiation (COMAR) has issued an invitation to its webinar, “RF Exposure in the Time of Conspiracies.” The 1-hour event i… Read more
The post STARWAVES DRM SoftRadio App for Android now available! appeared first on QRZ NOW – Ham Radio News.