Is the MB1 Prime 2021 an HF Ham Radio or a computer? Or both? On today’s lunchtime livestream, I will hook up this radio and attempt some POTA chasing, after we go over all of the details of this feature RICH ham radio!
Expert Electronics MB1 PRIME (2021 Version)
The MB1 PRIME transceiver is a game-changer, it’s a transceiver and a PC in a single package. It has a classic design, developed over several decades, with the most advanced DUC/DDC SDR technologies – Direct Down Conversion (DDC) and Direct Up Conversion (DUC) and a fully-featured high-end personal computer with an Intel Core i7 processor onboard.
The main advantage of the MB1 PRIME 2021 over its predecessor has improved TX IMD3 AND all-new PC hardware:
- GIGABYTE GA-IMB370TN Industrial ITX Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-9700 3.00GHz 8-Core/8-Thread CPU (4.70GHz Turbo Freq)
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- Samsung 970 EVO 500GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
- Independent RX path based on DDC(Direct Down-Conversion) architecture
- Independent TX path based on DUC(Direct Up-Conversion) architecture
- 2software RXs + SubRX for each of them (4 slices total) + independent wideband Bandscope up to 80 MHz
- ExpertSDR2 software in two styles: Desktop style and MB1 display (for integrated GUI)
- Remote controloperation, using it, you connect PTT and CW-key to the E-Coder panel. Microphone and E-Coder are connected to the remotely set up PC
- TCI interfacefor seamless connection with third-party software
- Professional TX processing moduleprovides the most advanced tuning capability for voice operation
- High-quality IPS 7″ touchscreendisplay with a 1280×800 resolution
- Supports any software applicable for Windows 10 OS
- ExtCtrlconnector to control external devices with 8 powerful keys with open collector
- COM-portfor connection of external devices, like PA, antenna switches etc.
- ALCconnector for external power amplifiers*
- Has a special XVTRconnector for VHF transverters** (SMA connector)
- 4separate programmable PTT outputs for external power amplifiers
- An opportunity to use the transceiver as a signal generator via DAC OUTconnector (SMA connector)
- An opportunity to use external filters in the middle of the RF path, using RX INand RX OUT (SMA connector)
- Monitoringdelay in CW mode is about 5-6 ms
- Input for external 10 MHz reference oscillator
- An opportunity to use the transceiver in SO2Vmode
- Full duplexor half duplex modes***
- 4 HF (UHF (SO-239) connector) and 2 VHF(N-type connector) antenna connectors
- Internal power-meter for HF and VHF bands and SWR-meter for HF band
- Recordand play on air fragments (IQ files) with a bandwidth of up to 312 kHz
- Internal ATU(Automatic Tuner Unit)
- The embedded power supply unit
* ** *** These functions are supported by the transceiver’s hardware but is not implemented in the ExpertSDR2 software. They will be supported in the future ExpertSDR2 software releases.
- Installation of digital modes software
- Installation of HAM and Contest logs
- Two CW Skimmers may be used on different bands
- The transceiver can connect to the LAN and the Internet
- Use of Internet applications (e.g., e-mail, Skype, ICQ, TV, etc.)
- Play video and audio files
- Watch TV via USB-receivers
- An opportunity to connect two external displays, keyboard, mouse
- An opportunity to connect external speakers to the PHONES jack on the front panel
- Full-function radio amateur transceiver
- Mobile contest-station
- Remote receipt point for the contests and other applications
- Spectrum analyzer with the bandwidth up to 80MHz
- Work with the external programs of digital connection types, CW Skimmer, etc.
A version of ExpertSDR2 software with adapted GUI for 7″ display was specially developed for the MB1 transceiver. At the present time software works in RX/TX mode and supports two independent receiving channels with the bandwidth up to 312 kHz. A DSP library developed by company Expert Electronics allowed improvement of receiving quality and higher the stability of the software.
RSPdx Multi antenna port 14 bit SDR The SDRplay RSPdx is a complete redesign of the popular RSP 2 and RSP 2 pro multi antenna receiver. It’s a wideban… Read more
“The Green Egg for Ham is a cute name for a 3D printed cover for your NMO antenna mounts. The Motorola style NMO mount is a popular style mount… Read more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgAkcmd7ixA Read more
Short overview of the BP-307, a new high capacity 7.2V / 3350mAh (typ.) Li-Ion battery pack designed for Icom’s latest range of IP, LTE radio and sele… Read more
Inflating The Dual Band 2m/70cm version of the Air Antennas, opening up repeaters 23 miles away Read more
“RFinder has been the ‘Social Repeater Directory’ for a while now with its support of repeater check-in postings to APRS and… Read more
There’s an incredible amount of radio signals. It’s impossible to know them all, let alone recognize them. So why not get help from Signal… Read more
Description Functional overview of the application DR functions You can use some transceiver’s DR functions. Share pictures Send and receive vo… Read more
The post Expert Electronics MB1 Prime 2021 HF – Ham Radio Livestream appeared first on QRZ NOW – Ham Radio News.